Professor Shelly Lap-ah TSE (謝立亞教授)
MB, PgDOHY, PhD, ICOH(member), MHKIOEH
Division of Occupational and Environmental Health
JC School of Public Health and Primary Care
The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Honorary Consultant, FM/GOPC KCC, Hospital Authority
Advisor for Clinical Epidemiolgoy, Hong Kong Medical Journal
Tel: (852) 22528791
Fax: (852) 26063500
|Professor Shelly Tse has been serving the JC School of Public Health and Primary Care in the Chinese University of Hong Kong since May 2007. She is appointed as Associate Professor in May 2013. Her major expertise is in the area of occupational and environmental cancer etiology, particularly for lung cancer and breast cancer. Shelly Tse has published more than 10 major authored research articles about occupational and environmental risk factors for lung cancer in the past 5 years, and she is moving her research direction to the area of gene-environment interaction, particularly for lung cancer and breast cancer. Shelly Tse is also interested in nightshift work and environmental endocrine disrupting chemicals for multiple outcomes such as metabolic syndrome and hormone-regulated cancers.
Prof. Shelly Tse is the principal investigator of an ongoing GRF/RGC project about nightshift work and female breast cancer (2011-2013), PI of an ongoing occupational cohort study funded by NSFC (National Natural Science Foundation of China) about nightshift work and metabolic syndrome, PI of Pneumoconiosis Compensation Fund Board funded project about medical surveillance and cost-effectiveness analysis for workers exposed to silica dust, PI of several Direct grant funded projects such as genetic variations of clock genes for female breast cancer, asbestos/asbestosis and mesothelioma, as well as PI of Occupational Safety and Health Council funded projects.
In addition, Shelly Tse is collaborated with Shanghai Municipal Center for Disease Control & Prevention as well as the Sequoia Foundation and California Department of Health to develop a China GEOHealth Hub focusing on environmental and occupational health issues associated with climate change, water quality, and worker health and safety – funded by the Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health, USA (2012-2014). Moverover, Shelly Tse has close collaborations with the SYNERGY Project of lung cancer (led by IARC/WHO) and National Cancer Institute of National Institutes of Health, USA.
- The Most Promising Young Researcher Award (2012), JC School of Public Health and Primary Care, the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Global Scholarship Programme for Research Excellent – CNOOC Grants and trained in Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology Branch, U.S., Department of Health and Human Services, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, U.S.A. in 2012.
- Best Project Award for the Academic Year 2006/2007 by Occupational Safety & Health Council in Hong Kong
- Best Project Awards for the Academic Year 2002/2003 by Occupational Safety & Health Council in Hong Kong
- Honor certificate (National Stroke Prevention) by China Medical Science College in 1998
- WHO Awards for Chinese young professional in the mental health and Neuroscience in 1997.
- Public Health and Epidemiology
- Life Long Learning Skills
- FFU (Family Follow-up Project)
BSc in Public Health
- Work and Health (Course Coordinator)
Master of Public Health
- OENV 5002 – Occupational Health I (Course Coordinator)
- PBHT 6900 -Capstone Project (Course Coordinator)
- Li Mengjie (current): Gene-environment interaction for female breast cancer
- Xie Shaohua (current, co-supervision): Environmental and Genetic Risk Factors for Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma: A Descriptive and Case-Control Study
- Chen Minghui (2012): Evaluation of the Test Performance and
Cost-Effectiveness of Medical Surveillance Programs for Workers Exposed
To Silica Dusts
- Yu Kai Shing, Jimmy (2010): Impacts of Comorbidities on Survival of Patients with Primary Lung Cancer
|-Environmental and Occupational Risk Factors and Cancer Etiologies
-Occupational Health and Hygiene
- Environmental and occupational exposures for lung cancer etiology (environmental tobacco smoke, incense smoke, residential radon, diesel motor exhaust, professional drivers, silica, silicosis, and other occupational risk factors)
- Asbestos, asbestosis and mesothelioma
- Occupational environmental exposures for breast and prostate cancer (nightshift work, Endocrine disrupting chemicals)
- Occupational environmental exposures for other cancers (nasopharyngeal carcinoma)
- Environmental biomarkers, gene-environment interactions, and several cancers (lung, breast, and prostate)
-Methodologies in Occupational and Environmental Epidemiology
- Nightshift work and metabolic syndrome (a large occupational cohort in mainland China)
- Medical surveillance for occupational cohorts and cost-effectiveness
- Noise-induced hearing loss
- Occupational environmental exposures and respiratory diseases (e.g., COPD)
-Community-based intervention study
Environmental Factors and Cancer Etiologies
- TSE Lap Ah, YU Tak Sun Ignatius. Re: The Diesel Exhaust in Miners Study: A Nested Case–Control Study of Lung Cancer and Diesel Exhaust [letter]. Journal of National Cancer Institute (online first, DOI:10.1093/jnci/djs414).
- Tsoi Chi Tak; TSE Lap Ah*. Professional drivers and lung cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis. Occupational and Environmental Medicine (online first, doi:10.1136/oemed-2012-100666) [*Corresponding]
- Xie SH, Yu IT, Tse LA, Mang OW, Yue L. Sex difference in the incidence of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Hong Kong 1983-2008: Suggestion of a potential protective role of oestrogen. Eur J Cancer. 2013 Jan;49(1):150-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ejca.2012.07.004. [*Corresponding]
- Tse Lap Ah, Chen MH, Au RKF, Wang F, Wang XR, Yu ITS. Pulmonary tuberculosis and lung cancer mortality in a historical cohort of workers with asbestosis. Public Health 2012;126:1013 -1016.
- TSE Lap Ah, YU Ignatius Tak-sun, WANG Xiao-rong, QIU Hong, AU Joseph Siu Kie. Synergistic Effect between Alcohol Consumption and Familial Susceptibility on Lung Cancer Risk among Chinese men. PLoS ONE 7(7): e40647. 2012. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0040647.
- Tsoi Chi Tak; TSE Lap Ah*. Professional drivers and lung cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis. Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 2012 (doi:10.1136/oemed-2012-100666) [*Corresponding]
- CHEN Minghui; TSE Lap Ah*; AU Ronald; YU Tak Sun Ignatius; WANG Xiaorong; LAO Xiangqian and AU Joseph Siu-kie. Mesothelioma and lung cancer mortality: A historical cohort study among asbestosis workers in Hong Kong. Lung Cancer. 2012;76(2):165-170. [*Corresponding]
- Tse Lap Ah, Yu Ignatius Tak-sun, Qiu Hong, Au Joseph Siu Kai, Wang Xiao-rong. Occupational Risks and Lung Cancer Burden for Chinese Men: a Population-Based Case-Referent Study. Cancer Causes Control [DOI: 10.1007/s10552-011-9861-1].
- Tse Lap Ah, Ignatius Tak-sun Yu, Hong Qiu, Joseph Siu Kai Au, and Xiao-rong Wang. A Case-Control Study of Lung Cancer and Incense Smoke, Smoking and Residential Radon in Chinese Men. Environmental Health Perspectives2011;119:1641-1646.
- Tse Lap Ah, Ignatius Tak-sun YU, Hong QIU, Joseph Siu-kie AU, Xiao Rong WANG, Wilson TAM, and Kai Shing YU. Lung Cancer Decreased Sharply in First Five Years after Smoking Cessation in Chinese Men. Journal of Thoracic Oncology 2011;6:1670-1676.
- TSE Lap Ah, YU Ignatius Tak-sun, AU, Joseph Siu Kai, Qiu Hong, WANG Xiao-rong. Silica Dust, Diesel Exhaust, and Painting Work are the Significant Occupational Risk Factors for Lung Cancer in Chinese Nonsmoking Men. British Journal of Cancer 2011;104:208–213.
- TSE Lap Ah; YU Tak Sun Ignatius; GOGGINS III William Bernard; CLEMENT Mark; WANG Xiaorong; AU Joseph Siu-kie and YU Kai Shing. "Are current or future mesothelioma epidemics in Hong Kong the tragic legacy of uncontrolled use of asbestos in the past?". Environmental Health Perspectives vol. 118. no. 3, pp.382-6, 2010.03.
- YIP Adrian Yun-san; TSE Lap Ah; ONG Eleanor Yuen-yuen and CHOW Louis Wing-cheong. "Survival benefits from lapatinib therapy in women with HER2-overexpressing breast cancer: a systematic review". Anti-Cancer Drugs vol. 21 no. 5, pp. 487-93. 2010.06
- TSE Lap Ah; MANG Oscar Wai-kong; YU Tak Sun Ignatius; WU Fan; AU Joseph Siu-kie and LAW Stephen Chun-key. "Cigarette Smoking and Changing Trends of Lung Cancer Incidence by Histological Subtype among Chinese Male Population". Lung Cancer vol.66 no.1 pp.22-27. 2009.10.
- TSE Lap Ah; YU Tak Sun Ignatius; AU Joseph Siu-kie; YU Kai Shing; KWOK Kit Ping; QIU Hong and WONG Tze Wai. Environmental Tobacco Smoke and Lund Cancer among Chinese Nonsmoking Males: Might Adenocarcinoma be the Culprit? American Journal of Epidemiology vol. 169 no. 5 pp 533-541, 2009.03.
- TSE Lap Ah; YU Tak Sun Ignatius and MANG Oscar W-k. "Time trends of esophageal cancer in Hong Kong: Age, period and birth cohort analyses". International Journal of Cancer vol.120 pp.853-858, 2007.02.15.
- YU Tak Sun Ignatius; TSE Lap Ah; LEUNG Chi Chiu; WONG Tze Wai; TAM Cheuck Ming and CHAN C. K. Alan. "Lung cancer mortality among silicotic workers in Hong Kong—no evidence for a link". Annals of Oncology vol.18 no.6, pp.1056-1063, 2007.06.
- TSE Lap Ah; YU Tak Sun Ignatius; MANG W. K. Oscar and WONG Siu Lan. "Incidence rate trends of histological subtypes of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Hong Kong". British Journal of Cancer vol. 95 no.9, pp.1269-1273, 2006.11.06.
- YU Tak Sun Ignatius; TSE Lap Ah; WONG Tze Wai; LEUNG Chi Chiu; TAM Cheuk Ming and CHAN C K Alan. "Further Evidence for a Link between Silica Dust and Esophageal Cancer". International Journal of Cancer vol.114 pp.479-483, 2005.04.10.
Occupational and environmental health and hygiene
- YU Tak Sun Ignatius; TSE Lap Ah and LI Kwok Fai Michelle. "State of Occupational Epidemiology Research in Hong Kong". Journal of Occupational Safety and Health vol.18 pp.221-231. 2010.08.
- SIU Damian Chi Hong; TSE Lap Ah*; YU Tak Sun Ignatius and GRIFFITHS Sian Meryl. "Computer Products Usage and Prevalence of Computer Related Musculoskeletal Discomfort Among Adolescents". Work - A Journal of Prevention , Assessment & Rehabilitation vol. 34, no. 4, pp.449-454, 2009.12.[*corresponding]
- LAM Tsz Sum; TSE Lap Ah*; YU Tak Sun Ignatius and GRIFFITHS Sian Meryl. Prevalence of Smoking and Environmental Tobacco Smoke Exposure, and Attitudes and Beliefs towards Tobacco Control among Hong Kong Medical Students. Public Health vol.123 no.1 pp.42-46. 2009.01. [*corresponding]
- TSE Lap Ah; YU Tak Sun Ignatius; LEUNG C. C.; TAM Wai San Wilson and WONG Tze Wai. "Mortality from non-malignant respiratory diseases among people with silicosis in Hong Kong: exposure–response analyses for exposure to silica dist”. Occupational and Environmental Medicine vol 64 no. 2, pp.87-92, 2007.02.
- TSE Lap Ah; LI Zhimin; WONG Tze Wai; FU ZHENMING and YU Tak Sun Ignatius. "High prevalence of accelerated silicosis among gold miners in Jiangxi, China". American Journal of Industrial Medicine vol. 50 no. 12, pp.876-880, 2007.12.
Methodological studies in epidemiology
- YU Tak Sun Ignatius and TSE Lap Ah. "Exploring the joint effects of silicosis and smoking on lung cancer risks". International Journal of Cancer vol. 120 no. 1, pp.133-139, 2007.01.01.
- Tse Lap Ah, Yu Ignatius Tak-sun. Indirect methods of adjustment for confounding factor in modern occupational epidemiology. Chinese Journal of Epidemiology 2007; 28:88-91.
- 余德新 及 謝立亞: <环境流行病学在分析香港淘大花园传染性非典型肺炎传播途径中的应用>. 李立明，詹思延編: 《流行病學研究實例第四卷》。 中國 北京: 人民衛生出版社 2006: 頁21-28。
Cerebrovascular diseases, risk factors and intervention
- Tse Lap Ah, Fang XiangHua, Wang Wenzhi, Qiu Hong, Yu Ignatius Tak-sun. Incidence of ischaemic and haemorrhagic stroke and the association with smoking and smoking cessation: a 10-year multicentre prospective study in China. Public Health. 2012 Nov;126(11):960-6. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2012.07.010.
- TSE Lap Ah and FANG Xiang-hua. One Intervention but Multiple Benefits: the China Experience from Stroke Prevention. British Medical Journal. 2012.05.25. [Research Letter, letter not to BMJ articles].
- TSE Lap Ah, Xiang Hua FANG, Ignatius Tak-sun YU, Hong QIU, and Wen-Zhi WANG. Residual Beneficial Effects after a 3-year Integrated Intervention on Stroke in China: a 10-year prospective follow-up. Journal of Hypertension 2011;29:2220-2225
- ZHANG Caixia; TSE Lap Ah; YE Xiao-qing; LIN Fang-yu; CHEN Yu-ming and CHEN Wei-qing. "Moderating Effects of Coping Styles on Anxiety and Depressive Symptoms Caused by Psychological Stress in Chinese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes". Diabetic Medicine vol. 26, no. 12, pp.1282-8. 2009. 12.
- ZHANG Cai Xia; TSE Lap Ah; DENG Xue-qing and JIANG Zhou-qin. "Cardiovascular risk factors in overweight and obese Chinese children A comparison of weight-for-height index and BMI as the screening criterion". European Journal of Nutrition vol.47 5 pp.244-250. 2008.08.
- XU Fei; TSE Lap Ah; YIN Xiaomei; YU Tak Sun Ignatius and GRIFFITHS Sian Meryl. "Impact of socio-economic factors on stroke prevalence among urban and rural residents in Mainland China". BMC Public Health 8 170 1-10. 2008.05.21.
- CHENG Tereza Sy; TSE Lap Ah*; YU Tak Sun Ignatius and GRIFFITHS Sian Meryl. "Children's Perceptions of Parental Attitude Affecting Breakfast Skipping in Primary Sixth-Grade Students”. Journal of School Health vol.78 no.4, pp.203-208. 2008.04. [*corresponding]
- Tse LA, Griffiths SM. Guest editorial: health protection and communicable disease control in Hong Kong, China. Public Health. 2012 Dec;126(12):999-1000. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2012.09.013.
- Yu IT, Tse SL. Clinical Epidemiology Workshop—Introduction. Hong Kong Med J 2011;17:315-6.
- Yu IT, Tse SL. Clinical Epidemiology Workshop 2—General approach to critical appraisal of a medical journal paper. Hong Kong Med J 2011;17:405-6.
- Yu IT, Tse SL. Clinical Epidemiology Workshop 3—Sources of bias in case series, patient cohorts, and randomised controlled trials. Hong Kong Med J 2011;17:478-9.
- Yu IT, Tse SL. Clinical Epidemiology Workshop 4—Sources of bias in case-referent studies. Hong Kong Med J 2012;18:46-7.
- Yu IT, Tse SL. Clinical Epidemiology Workshop 5—Sources of bias in cohort studies. Hong Kong Med J 2012;18:137-8.
- Yu IT, Tse SL. Clinical Epidemiology Workshop 6—Sources of bias in
cross-sectional studies; summary on sources of bias for different study
designs. Hong Kong Med J 2012;18:226-7.
- Yu IT, Tse SL. Clinical Epidemiology Workshop 7—Appraising a study on diagnosis. Hong Kong Med J 2012;18:325-6.
- Yu IT, Tse SL. Clinical Epidemiology Workshop 8—Appraising a study on therapy. Hong Kong Med J 2012;18:419-20.
- Yu IT, Tse SL. Clinical Epidemiology Workshop 9—Appraising a study on prognosis. Hong Kong Med J 2012;18:507-8.