Professor Emily Ying-yang CHAN (陳英凝教授)
BS (Johns Hopkins), SMPIH (Harvard), MBBS (HKU), MD (CUHK), DFM, DDM, DFPH (UK), CPH (USA), FHKCCM, FHKAM
Associate Director (External Affairs and Collaboration); and Professor, JC School of Public Health and Primary Care; Assistant Dean (Development), Faculty of Medicine;
Convenor, Climate Change and Health Study Group;
Centre Director, Collaborating Centre for Oxford University and CUHK for Disaster and Medical Humanitarian Response (CCOUC);
Centre Director, Centre for Global Health;
Visiting Professor of Public Health Medicine, Nuffield Department of Medicine, University of Oxford, United Kingdom;
Senior Fellow, Harvard Humanitarian Initiative, Harvard University, US; and
Visiting Scholar, Francois-Xavier Bagnoud (FXB) Centre for Health and Human Rights,
Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University, US
Collaborating Centre for Oxford University and CUHK for Disaster and Medical Humanitarian Response (CCOUC)
Public Health Humanitarian Initiative
Ethnic Minority Health Project
CUHK Climate Change and Health Study Group
|Prof Emily YY Chan is currently the Director of Collaborating Centre for Oxford University and CUHK for Disaster and Medical Humanitarian Response (CCOUC), Director of Centre of Global Health, Professor, and Convener (Climate Change and Health Study Group), Faculty of Medicine, The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Apart from being a public health research expert, she is also an expert in health need and program evaluation assessments of medical humanitarian interventions in extreme events and health program development in remote and resource deficit settings. In 2007, Professor Chan has established the Climate Change and Health Research Study Group at the JC School of Public Health and Primary Care at The Chinese University of Hong Kong and she headed of the CUHK-HKO Collaborative Research Team on Climate Change and Health Outcomes (2012-2014). The research aims are to examine and provide evidence-based insights on various health impacts and associated community behaviors related to climate change. Currently, the two main funded research areas are i) health impact modeling (mortality, morbidity and self-reported health outcomes), and ii) behavioral assessments (knowledge, attitude, perception, risk literacy and communication predictors). Among the international peer-reviewed publication, the recent climate change-related study focusing on the relationship between weather phenomena and pollution levels and daily hospital admissions in Hong Kong has been published in Bulletin of World Health Organization. She serves in the editorial boards of several international scientific journal and as technical expert in various governing boards of international non-governmental organizations and government advisory groups in areas related to medical humanitarian response, Climate change and health and health related interventions in difficult settings.
- MB ChB Department of Community and Family Medicine module and clinical teaching
- PBH 2011 Global Health
Master of Public Health Programme - Population and Global Health Concentration
PBHT 5003 Global Health (formerly known as PBH 7903 Global Health)
PBHT 5801 Climate Change and Health
PBHT 5802 Disaster and Humanitarian Crisis
PBHT 5803 Disaster Risk Management for Health
HSOC 6801 Field Action Laboratory (formerly known as Field Practicum)
PBHT 6900 CAPSTONE-Practice Coordinator
Professor Chan research work uses multidisciplinary methods from public health, clinical medicine, disaster science, health economics and management sciences.
- Disaster and Humanitarian Crisis
- Climate Change and Health
- Rural and Ethnic Minority Health
- Disasters, Injury and Violence Epidemiology
- Evidence-based interventions
- Macro-determinants of health (Globalization, Urbanization, Migration)
- Health needs and intervention impact assessment methodologies
|2010/2011 CUHK School of Public Health and Primary Care Best Teacher Award
2007 Nobuo Maeda International Research Award
2007 Hong Kong Humanity Award - Link
2005 World Medical Association Caring Physician of the World
2005 World Ten Most Outstanding Person Award - Link
2004 Hong Kong Ten Most Outstanding Person Award - Link
|2013 Living condition of population displaced by the Sichuan Ya'an Earthquake - Wenweipo News
2013 Substandard Earthquake relief: Donations needed for long-term recovery post Ya'an Earthquake - Apple News Hong Kong
2012 Radio and Television Hong Kong – Why Poverty?
2012 PCCW NowTV – Under the Fiery Sun
2012 Television Broadcasts Limited – Weekend Broadcasting Studio
|2013 CUHK Golden Jubilee "CU50-The People" Video Series – Emily Chan, Humanitarian Relief
2013 Nuffield Department of Medicine of Oxford University International Podcast Series - CCOUC
Lancet : The untold stories of the Sichuan earthquake
CUHK Public Health Humanitarian Initiatives
PBHT5801 Class simulation: A Sudden Influx of Refugees - created by Christy Chan in July, 2011
CCOUC From Vision to Mission - created by aChaud and Christy Chan in April, 2011
CCOUC Opening Ceremony - created by Christy Chan in April, 2011
Healthy Village Project 2011, Ma’an Qiao Village, Sichuan, China - created by Christy Chan in March, 2011
Healthy Village Project 2010, Datan Village, Gansu, China - created by Christy Chan in December, 2010
Sichuan: Jin Sha Jiang (CUHK Humanitarian Initiatives) – created by Joyce Leung in March, 2011
Health Needs Assessment Trip in Guangxi, August, 2012 - created by CCOUC in October, 2012.
CUHK Climate Change and Health Study Group
Human Security: Public Health response in Disaster/Conflicts/Emergencies.
- Chan EY, Liu S, Hung KK. (2013) Typhoon Haiyan and beyond. Lancet. 2013 Dec 7;382(9908):1873. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)62415-0. Epub 2013 Nov 23
- Chan EYY (2013) Bottom Up disaster resilience. Nature Geoscience VOL 6 | MAY 2013 327-328 http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v6/n5/pdf/ngeo1815.pdf
- Barnett-Vanes A, Hung KK, Maruthappu M, Shalhoub J, Chan EY. (2013) Improving health in humanitarian crises: from reactive to proactive. Lancet. 2013 Aug 24;382(9893):679. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61768-7.
- Chan EYY, Kim JH, Lin C, Cheung EYL & Lee PPY. (2013) Is previous disaster experience a good predictor for disaster preparedness in extreme poverty households in remote Hui minority based community in China? Journal of Immigrants and Minority Health. DOI:10.1007/s10903-012-9761- http://www.springerlink.com/openurl.asp?genre=article&id=doi:10.1007/s10903-012-9761-9
- Chan, E.Y.Y., and Griffiths, S M. (2010) The epidemiology of mine accidents in China. Lancet, Vol.376 No.9741, pp.575-577.
- Chan, E.Y.Y., Griffiths, S.M., & Chan, C.W. (2008) The public health risk of melamine in milk products. Lancet, Vol. 372. No. 9648, pp. 1444-1445.http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140673608616049/fulltext
- Chan, E.Y.Y. (2008) The untold stories of Sichuan Earthquake, Lancet, Vol. 372. No. 9636, pp.359-362.
- 陈英凝, 高杨. 中国偏远农村及少数民族地区的医疗卫生现状及防灾需要. 伤害医学（电子版）2013年.
- Hung KKC, Lam ECC, Wong MCS, Wong TW, Chan EYY, Graham CA. (2013) Emergency physicians’ preparedness for CBRNE incidents in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2013 Mar; 20(2):90–97.
- Hung KK, Lam EC, Chan EY, Graham CA. (2012) Disease pattern and chronic illness in rural China: the Hong Kong Red Cross basic health clinic after 2008 Sichuan earthquake. Emerg Med Australas. 2013 Jun;25(3):252-9. doi: 10.1111/1742-6723.12080. Epub 2013 May 20
- Hung KKC, Chan EYY & Graham CA. (2012) Disaster training: Lessons learnt from the 2008 Sichuan China Earthquake. International Paramedic Practice, June-August 2012, Vol1. No4. Pg 133-140
- Chan, Y.Y.E., Gao, Y., and Griffiths, S. Meryl. (2009) "Literature review of health impact post-earthquakes in China 1906-2007". Journal of Public Health , Vol 32, No. 1, pg 52-61. doi: 10.1093/pubmed/fdp078. 2009.08.04
- Chan, E.Y.Y, Hung, K.K.C., & Cai, Y. (2011) An epidemiology study of technical disasters in China: 1979 -2005. European Journal of Emergency Medicine. Published ahead-of-print. London, United Kingdom 2011-04.26 doi: 10.1097/MEJ.0b013e3283421097
- Chan, E.Y.Y., & Kim, J. (2010) Chronic health needs immediately after natural disasters in middle-income countries: the case of the 2008 Sichuan, China earthquake. European Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol 18 No 2 pg 111-114. doi: 10.1097/MEJ.0b013e32833dba19
- Chan, Y.Y.E., and Kim, J. J. (2009) "Remote mobile health service utilization post 2005 Kashmir-Pakistan Earthquake". European Journal of Emergency Medicine. Vol. 17 No. 3. pg 158-163.
- Chan, Y.Y.E., and Kim, J. J. (2010) "Characteristics and health outcomes of internally displaced population in unofficial rural self-settled camps after the 2005 Kashmir, Pakistan earthquake. European Journal of Emergency Medicine Vol 17 No. 3 pg 136-141
- Joseph T. F. Lau, Xiaonan Yu, Jianxin Zhang, Winnie W. S.Mak, Kai Chow Choi, Wacy W. S. Lui, Jianxin Zhang, and Emily Y. Y. Chan (2010) Psychological Distress among Adolescents in Chengdu, Sichuan at 1 Month after the 2008 Sichuan Earthquake. Journal of Urban Health, Vol. 87 No. 3 May, 2010 pg 504-523 doi:10.1007/s11524-010-9447-3
- Yu XN, Lau JT, Zhang J, Mak WW, Choi KC, Lui WW, Zhang J, Chan EY. (2010) Posttraumatic growth and reduced suicidal ideation among adolescents at month 1 after the Sichuan Earthquake. J Affect Disord. 2010 Jun; 123(1-3):327-31. Epub 2009 Nov 11.
- Kevin KC Hung, Emily YY Chan, Colin A Graham (2012) International Paramedic Practice, Vol. 1, Iss. 4, 26 Jun 2012, pp 133 – 140
- E.Y.Y. Chan, S.Y. Wong, S.M. Griffiths, C.A. Graham A (2011) disaster education framework to bridge natural disaster medical response and primary care development in developing countries Prehosp Disaster Med 2011; 26(Suppl.1):s7 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11000379
- Hung KK, Cocks RA, Poon WK, Chan EY, Rainer TH, Graham CA. (2013) Medical volunteers in commercial flight medical diversions. Aviat Space Environ Med. 2013 May;84(5):491-7
- CHAN Ying Yang Emily; HUNG Kei Ching Kevin and CAI Yue. (2011) "An Epidemiological Study of Technological Disasters in China: 1979–2005". European Journal of Emergency Medicine vol.18, no.4, pp.234–237. 2011.08.
- E.Y.Y. Chan, S.D. Koo (2011) Systematic literature review on pediatric sleep disturbance management post-disaster: implications of post-disaster pediatric clinical management in developing countries Prehosp Disaster Med 2011; 26(Suppl.1):s38 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11000269
- E.Y.L.Cheung, E.Y.Y.Chan, H.P.Lam, C.L.Y.Lin, P.P.Y.Lee (2011) Post disaster mental health among ethnic minorities in rural China: results from qualitative studies Prehosp Disaster Med 2011; 26(Suppl.1):s88-s89 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11002792
- H.Y.Yuen, E.Y.Y.Chan, A.T.Ahuja (2011) Use of portable ultrasound in triage in field settings Prehosp Disaster Med 2011; 26(Suppl.1):s781 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11000469
- E.Y.Y. Chan, C.L.Y.Lin, P.P.Y.Lee, I.Zheng, E.Y.L. Cheung, S.C.Lam (2011) Preliminary results of post-flooding impacts on rural elderly in Hainan province, China. Prehosp Disaster Med 2011; 26(Suppl.1):s41 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11000361
- K.Hung, E.Y.Y.Chan, E.Lam, T.Rainer, C.Graham. (2011) Disease pattern in a rural setting three weeks after the 2008 Sichuan, China earthquake-Hong Kong Red Cross Basic Health in Yanmen. Prehosp Disaster Med 2011; 26(Suppl.1):s176 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11005437
- E.Y.L.Cheung, E.Y.Y. Chan, C.L.Y.Lin, P.Y.Y.Lee. (2011) Clinical effectiveness of psychological first aid training among emergency responders in Chinese population: Preliminary results of 3-month follow up Prehosp Disaster Med; 26(Suppl.1):s137-s138 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11004274
- E.Y.L.Cheung, E.Y.Y. Chan, S.H.Lee. (2011) Comparative descriptive analysis of post disaster psychological interventions Prehosp Disaster Med; 26(Suppl.1):s139 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11004316
- C.L.Y.Lin, K.Hung, E.Y.Y.Chan, P.P.Y.Lee (2011) Effectiveness of “Understanding Disasters” Training among health care professionals and students in China. Prehosp Disaster Med 2011; 26(Suppl.1):s123-s124 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11003852
- Hung. K.C., Chan E.Y., Cocks, R.A., Ong, R.M., Rainer, T.H., & Graham, C.A. (2010) Predictors of diversions and deaths for inflight medical emergencies in commercial aviation. Arch of Internal Medicine, 2010; 1401-1402 81(3); 303.
- Chan, Y. Y. E. & Griffiths, S. M. (2008) "Comparison of Health Needs of Older People Between affected rural and urban areas after the 2005 Kashmir Pakistan Earthquake." Prehospital and Disaster Medicine, Vol.24 no.5, pp.365-371.
- Chan, Y. Y. E. (2009) "Why are older people health needs forgotten post-natural disaster relief in developing countries? A healthcare provider survey of 2005 Kashmir, Pakistan earthquake." American Journal of Disaster Medicine, Vol.4no.2, pp.107-112. http://pnpcsw.pnpco.com/cadmus/testvol.asp?year=2009&journal=ajdm
- Chan, E.Y.Y. (2008) Doctors in natural disaster relief setting. The Hong Kong Practitioners. Volume 30 No 3 pg 152-153 http://www.hkcfp.org.hk/article/2008/09/page152_153commentary.html
- Chan, E.Y., & Sondorp, E. (2007) Natural disaster medical intervention: Missed opportunity to deal with chronic medical needs? An analytical framework. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health, Special Issue No. 19. Pg 45-51
- Chan, E.Y. (2006) Evidence-Based public health practices: Challenges for health needs assessments in disasters. Hong Kong Med J 2006: 12: 324-6. http://www.hkmj.org/article_pdfs/hkm0608p324.pdf
- Chan E. (2003) Medecins Sans Frontieres experience in the provision of health care in complex setting. Hong Kong Med J, 2003; 9:67 http://www.hkmj.org/article_pdfs/hkm0302p67.pdf
Climate Change and Health
- EY Chan, WB Goggins, JSK Yue, P Lee. (2013) Hospital admissions as a function of temperature, weather phenomena and pollution levels in an urban setting in China. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. August 2013
- Goggins WB, Yang C, Hokama T, Law LSK, Chan EYY. (2015) Using annual data to estimate the public health impact of extreme temperatures. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2015;(10). Available from: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/doi/10.1093/aje/kwv013
- Qiu H, Yu ITS, Tse LA, Chan EYY, Wong TW, Tian L. (2015) Greater temperature variation within a day associated with increased emergency hospital admissions for asthma. Science of the Total Environment. 2015;505:508–13.
- WB Goggins, C Ren, E Ng, CY Yang, EY Chan. (2013)Effect modification of the association between meteorological variables and mortality by urban climatic conditions in the tropical city of Kaohsiung, Taiwan. Geospatial Health. 2013 Nov;8(1):37-44.
- Goggins WB, Chan EY, Yang C, Chong M. (2013) Associations between mortality and meteorological and pollutant variables during the cool season in two Asian cities with sub-tropical climates: Hong Kong and Taipei. Environ Health. 2013 Jul 19;12:59. doi: 10.1186/1476-069X-12-59
- Gao Y, Chan EY, Li L, Lau PW, Wong TW. (2014) Chronic effects of ambient air pollution on respiratory morbidities among Chinese children: a cross-sectional study in Hong Kong. BMC Public Health. 2014 Feb 3;14:105. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-14-105.
- Gao Y, Chan EYY, Li LP, He QQ, Wong TW. (2013) Chronic effects of ambient air pollution on lung function among Chinese children. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 2013; 98(2): 128-35. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2011-301541
- Gao Y, Chan EYY, Zhu YJ, Wong TW. (2012) Adverse effect of outdoor air pollution on cardiorespiratory fitness in Chinese children. Atmospheric Environment, 2013; 64: 10-17. doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2012.09.063
- WB Goggins, EY Chan, E Ng, C Ren, L Chen, (2012) Effect modification of the association between short-term meteorological factors and mortality by urban heat islands in Hong Kong. PLoS ONE. 2012.7(6):e38551.
- WB Goggins, J Woo, S Ho, EY Chan (2012) PH Chau, Weather, season, and daily stroke admissions in Hong Kong. International Journal of Biometeorology 2012; 56(5): 865-72.
- Yang GJ, Tanner M, Utzinger J, Malone JB, Bergquist R, Chan EY, Gao Q, Zhou XN.(2012) Malaria surveillance-response strategies in different transmission zones of the People's Republic of China: preparing for climate change. Malar J. 2012 Dec 21;11:426. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-11-426
- Gupta S, Carmichael C, Simpson C, Clarke MJ, Allen C, Gao Y, Chan EYY, Murray V. (2012) Electric fans for reducing adverse health impacts in heatwaves. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2012, 7. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD009888http://www.mrw.interscience.wiley.com/cochrane/clsysrev/articles/CD009888/frame.html
- WB Goggins, EY Chan, CY Yang, (2012) Weather, pollution, and acute myocardial infarction in Hong Kong and Taiwan. International Journal of Cardiology 2012; doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2012.09.087;
- EY Chan, WB Goggins, JJ Kim, SM Griffiths (2012) A study of intracity variation of temperature related mortality and socioeconomic status among the Chinese population of Hong Kong. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 2012;66(4):322-7.
- EY Chan, WB Goggins, JJ Kim, S Griffiths, TK Mak, Help-seeking behavior during elevated temperature in Chinese populations. Journal of Urban Health 2011; 88(4): 637-50.
- Tian L, Bi,Y, Ho, S., Liu, W, Liang, S. Goggins, W.B. Chan, E Y.Y., Zhou, S., and Sung, J. (2008) One-year delayed effect of fog on malaria transmission: a time-series analysis in the rain forest area of Mengla County, south-west China. Malaria Journal. 7:110. http://bmj.com/cgi/eletters/336/7637/0#188585
- Tsang SL, Gao Y, Chan EYY. (2012) A pilot study on unintentional household injury among children with intellectual disability in Hong Kong. Injury Medicine, 2012; 1 (1): 25-32. doi: 10.3868/j.issn.2095-1566.2012.01.005 (The opening issue. Chinese abstract:http://im.hep.com.cn/im/productInfo.htm?id=7d3b72909cb64848b3253573f319d1ab
- E.Y.Y. Chan, J.H.Kim, P.Y.Y. Lee, C.L.Y.Lin. (2011) Analysis of health risk perception and behavior changes during elevated temperatures for an urban Chinese population Prehosp Disaster Med 2011; 26(Suppl.1):s26 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11000914
- CHAN Ying Yang Emily; KIM Jean Hee; GRIFFITHS Sian Meryl; LAU Joseph T. F. and YU Tak Sun Ignatius. (2010) "Does Living Density Matter for Nonfatal Unintentional Home Injury in Asian Urban Settings? Evidence from Hong Kong". Journal of Urban Health, New York, USA, 2009.07.28.
- Chan E YY, Kim JH, Ng, Q, Griffiths & Lau JTF. (2010) A descriptive study of nonfatal unintentional home-based injury in urban settings: evidence from Hong Kong. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health 39-48 Volume 20. Supplement, October 2008
- E.Y.Y. Chan, P.P.Y.Lee, J.M.S.Leung, J.H.Kim (2011)Health seeking behavior post-unintentional household injury in Hong Kong. Prehosp Disaster Med 2011;26 (Suppl.1):s134 doi:10.1017/S1049023X11004171
- Chen, H., Li, L.P., & Chan, Y. Y. E. (2009) Heat Wave and Daily Mortality of Residents in a Costal City in China. J Environ Health, November 2009, Vo 26 No 11 pg 988-990.
Global Health Related/Migration/Urbanization
- Chan EYY, Cheng CKY, Tam G, Huang Z, Lee P. (2015) Willingness of future A/H7N9 influenza vaccine uptake: A cross-sectional study of Hong Kong community. Vaccine [Internet]. 2015 Jul 27; Available from: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0264410X15010063
- Hung KKC, Lin AKY, Cheng CKY, Chan EYY, Graham CA. (2014) Travel health risk perceptions and preparations among travelers at Hong Kong International Airport. Journal of Travel Medicine. 2014. doi: 10.1111/jtm.12112
- Xu F, Ware RS, Tse LA, Wang Y, Wang Z, Hong X, Chan EY, Dunstan DW, Owen N. (2014) Joint Associations of Physical Activity and Hypertension with the Development of Type 2 Diabetes among Urban Men and Women in Mainland China. PLoS One. 2014 Feb 13;9(2):e88719. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0088719.
- Xu F, Wang X, Ware RS, Tse LA, Wang Z, Hong X, Chan EY, Li J, Wang Y. (2014) A school-based comprehensive lifestyle intervention among Chinese kids against Obesity (CLICK-Obesity) in Nanjing City, China: the baseline data. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2014;23(1):48-54. doi: 10.6133/apjcn.2014.23.1.04
- Gao Y, Li LP, Chan EYY, Lau J, Griffiths S. (2013) Parental migration, self-efficacy and cigarette smoking among Chinese rural adolescents. PLoS ONE, 2013 8(3): e57569. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0057569, http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0057569
- CHEUNG Polly; HUNG Wk; CHEUNG Catherine; CHAN Amy; WONG TT; CHAN Wk Sharon; LI Lawreance; CHAN KW; CHOI Peter; KWAN WH; YAU CC; CHAN Ying Yang Emily; LAW CK Stephen and KWAN Daisy. (2012) "Early Data from the First Population-Wide Breast Cancer-Specific Registry in Hong Kong". World Journal of Surgery vol.36 pp.723-7239. 2012.01.20.
- Chan, E. and Griffiths, S. (2010) The implication of water on public health: The case of China. Perspectives in Public Health September 2010 130: 209-210, doi:10.1177/1757913910379187
- Chan, E. Y. Y., Griffiths, Sian., Gao, Y., Chan, C. W., & Fok, T.F. (2010) Addressing disparities in children’s health in China Archives of Disease in Childhood, 2008;93:346-352; doi:10.1136/adc.2007.130146
- Gao, G, Griffiths, S & Chan, E Y.Y. (2009) Community-based interventions to reduce overweight and obesity in China: a systematic review of the Chinese and English literature. Journal of Public Health, pp. 1–13, November 2007. doi:10.1093/pubmed/fdm057
- Wong, WCM, Holroyd, E, Chan EY, Griffiths S, Bingham A. (2008) One country, two systems: Sociopolitical implications for female migrant sex workers in Hong Kong BMC International Health and Human Rights. 2008: 8: 13 http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-698X/8/13
- Chan EYY. Public health and liberal studies: analysis of cross-module issues. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Educational Publishing Company; 2015. (In Chinese).
- Chan EYY, Zhu CYJ, Lee PY, Liu SD. Training manual for health and disaster preparedness in rural China. Hong Kong: CCOUC and WZQCF; 2015. (In Chinese).
- Chan EYY, Southgate RJ. Responding to chronic disease needs following disasters: A rethink using the Human Security approach. In: Hobson C, Bacon P, Cameron R (eds.). Human Security and Natural Disasters (Routledge Humanitarian Studies series). Tokyo: Routledge, 2014.
- Lewis,G., Sherringham, J., Kalim, K., & Crayford, T.J.B Mastering Public Health: A postgraduate guide to examination and revalidation. The Royal Society of Medicine Press Limited. United Kingdom (as International Editorial Panel)
- Chan EYY. Sans Frontieres Under the Sun. Hong Kong Economic Press. July 2005 (In Chinese)
Technical Article and Reports
- Chan, E. Y. Y., & Sondorp E Including chronic disease care in emergency Responses Humanitarian Exchange Magazine, Issue 41 December 2008 Humanitarian Practice Network. http://www.odihpn.org/report.asp?id=2976
- CHAN Ying Yang Emily; KIM Jean Hee; GRIFFITHS Sian Meryl and LAW Sk Lilian, Project Title: A Pilot Study for public health policy model and indicators development for child health in Hong Kong, Commissioned research by HKSAR Government Central Policy Unit, Report: 1- 107 pgs. (Hong Kong), December 2008
- Woman Task Force. Composed of various members nominated by HKGGA, HKSAR government and academic institution (for CUHK delegate: Prof. SH Lee, Prof. EYY Chan), Project Title: Young Woman Health Study Report in Hong Kong, Organization: Hong Kong Girl Guides Association, Report: 1-69pg (Hong Kong), Language: Bilingual (English and Chinese). June 2008
- Chan EYY, Hung KKC, Cheung EYL & Koo SD. (2011) The 2010 Bhutan Fire Disaster. Disaster case study technical report No.1. Pgs 1-68. CERT-CUHK-Oxford University Center of Disaster and Medical Humanitarian Response (CCOUC). School of Public Health and Primary Care, Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong. (May 2011)
- CHAN Ying Yang Emily; HUNG Kei Ching Kevin and ZHU Yingjia. Disaster Case Study Series Technical Report 7: Clenbuterol Usage in Pork Industry in China. CCOUC Disaster Technical Case Report Series 1-140 pgs. Hong Kong, China, (Sept 2011)
- Chan EYY, Goggins WB, Lin CLY, Cheung EYL, Lee PY, Cheng CYI & Lam D. (2011) Epidemiology study of health impact of 2010 Hainan typhoon disaster. Disaster case study technical report No.2. Pgs 1-70. CERT-CUHK-Oxford University Center of Disaster and Medical Humanitarian Response (CCOUC) School of Public Health and Primary Care, Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong. (May 2011)
- CHAN Ying Yang Emily; HUNG Kei Ching Kevin and RODAS Jamie Rocio. Disaster Case Study Series Technical Report 8: The Health Effects of Human Made Disasters: Internal Conflict in the Philippines. CCOUC Disaster Technical Case Report Series 1-145 pgs. Hong Kong, China, 2012.03.
- CHAN Ying Yang Emily and HUNG Kei Ching Kevin. Disaster Case Study Series Technical Report 1: The 2008 Sichuan Earthquake, China CCOUC Disaster Technical Case Report Series 1-109 pgs. Hong Kong, China, 2012.04.20.
- CHAN Ying Yang Emily; HUNG Kei Ching Kevin; RODAS Jamie Rocio and LIU Sida. Disaster Case Study Series Technical Report 2: Earthquakes in Nepal, the 2011 Sikkim Earthquake. CCOUC Disaster Technical Case Report Series 1-120 pgs. Hong Kong, China, 2012.05.
- CHAN Ying Yang Emily; HUNG Kei Ching Kevin; CHOI Yuen See and LIU Sida. Disaster Case Study Series Technical Report 3: The 2009 Earthquake in West Sumatra, Indonesia. CCOUC Disaster Technical Case Report Series 1-100 pgs. Hong Kong, China, 2012.06.
- CHAN Ying Yang Emily; HUNG Kei Ching Kevin; CHOI Yuen See; HUANG Bryant Yin Chun and LEE Po Yi. Disaster Case Study Series Technical Report 5: The Worst Floods in Thailand in 50 years: Thailand Floods. ". CCOUC Disaster Technical Case Report Series 1-130 pgs. Hong Kong, China, 2011.12.
- Chan EYY, Goggins WB, Cheung EYL, Lin CLY, Lee PY & Tse E. (2011) Report on Hainan Province Li Minority Village Health Needs assessment. Public Health Humanitarian Initiative Technical Report No. 6. Pgs 1-82. School of Public Health and Primary Care, Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong. (May 2011)
- Chan EYY, Choi C, Fong TN, Cheung EYL, & Lee PY. (2011) Progress report of Part I Gansu Province Dai Tan Village Hui Minority health and disaster preparedness project. Public Health Humanitarian Initiative Technical Report No. 5. Pgs 1-55. School of Public Health and Primary Care, Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong. (October 2010)
- Chan EYY, Cheung EYL, Leung J, Koo SD, Lee PY, Lam HP, Yung P, Lou OL, Cheung KM and Kwok YL. (2010) Progress report on Part I Sichuan province Jin Shia Jiang Healthy Village Project. Public Health Humanitarian Initiative Technical Report No. 3. Pgs 1-42. School of Public Health and Primary Care, Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong. (March 2010)
- Chan EYY, Cheung EYL, Yung TKC & Wong A. (2010) Yunnan Province Boashan Naxi Minority Health Need Assessment. Public Health Humanitarian Initiative Technical Report No. 4. Pgs 1-51. School of Public Health and Primary Care, Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong. (August 2010)
- Chan EYY, Yuen E, Hung YW, Cheung EYL, & Leung J. (2010) Gansu Province Dai Tan Village Hui Minority Health Need assessment. Pgs 1-45. Public Health Humanitarian Initiative Technical Report No. 5. School of Public Health and Primary Care, Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong. (October 2010)
- Chan EYY, Leung J, Hung KKC & Yung TKC. (2009) Health need assessment report on post 2008 Sichuan/Yunnan Panzhihau Earthquake at Jin Shia Jiang area in China. Public Health Humanitarian Initiative Technical Report No.1. Pgs 1-47. School of Public Health and Primary Care, Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong. (June 2009)
- Chan EYY, Leung J, Kim JH & Griffiths SM. (2009) Sichuan province Jin Shia Jiang Healthy Village Project Document, Public Health Humanitarian Initiative Technical Report No. 2. Pgs 1-52. School of Public Health and Primary Care, Faculty of Medicine, Chinese University of Hong Kong. ( Oct 2009)
- CHEUNG Sy Polly; BOURKE Veronica; CHAN Ying Yang Emily; CHAN Kw; CHAN Ww Sharon; CHOI Peter; CHOI Joanne; CHUA Yvonne; KWAN Doris; KWAN Wh; LAW Stephen; LI Lawrence; MAK Sandra; WONG Tt and YAU Cc. "Breast Cancer Facts in Hong Kong 2008 Report". Pgs 1-98. Hong Kong SAR: Hong Kong Breast Cancer Foundation, 2009.08.30.
Protocol and Guideline development
- Chan EYY , Zhu YZC, Lee PY, Yuen HY, Hung KCK & Cheung EY. Protocol Title: Medical and health field protocol and guidelines, Organization: WuZhiQiao Foundation, Pg 1-285., Language: English (with Chinese Abstract). Spring 2014
- Chan EYY. Protocol Title: 2009-2013 Ten village ethic minority health project protocol for the 5 year cohort study on 10 disaster prone, remote, extreme poverty based ethnic minority areas in China. Project sites developed include: Origin of Yangze River (2009), High Plateau of Yellow River (2010), Hainan Highland Li minority (2011). Pg 1-186. July 2010
- Chan EYY. Field Research protocol Title: Hainan disaster preparedness and health study protocol for the 136 randomized village study of disaster preparedness and health study that examines the relationships between multidimensional poverty index, ethnicity, disaster preparedness, risk literacy and various health outcomes. Pg 1-56. Nov, 2010
- Chan EYY & Cheung EYL Field research protocol title: Effectiveness of Psychological First Aid (PFA) in improving mental health outcomes for emergency responders: A Randomized Controlled Trial A prospective intervention based study on PFA effectiveness on 900 auxiliary medical responders in Hong Kong. October 2010
- Chan YY E & Goggins, W CUHK SPHPC Climate change and health study strategy paper Climate Change and Health Study group. Strategic development of climate change and health studies in CUHK from 2007-2013. Dec 2007